Friday, October 21, 2011

Free Motion Friday 3

Don't you think Cindy's Free Motion Friday is an inspired idea? I have to say I'm really loving trying the new designs each week and seeing how everyone else is doing. I didn't get to link last week, or to comment much although I did manage to visit and have a quick look at a lot of the drop art on my phone.

This week I'm doing a little catch up. After the first week's disaster I decided it was time to get serious and equipped myself with these:


A pair of ladies gardening gloves from B&Q for the princely sum of about €3. They're pretty lightweight but give me a good grip and I definitely found them helpful.

My first attempt at the drop art didn't really look like drops. A bit squidgy and squashed:


But I went back for a 2nd attempt later in the week and was much happier. Not perfect, but it looked a little like drops and I felt I had much more control on this one.


When I saw the challenge for this week, the Slate Tiles I was really happy. I love this sort of design and the imperfection of the pattern is totally my style. I loved it so much I gave myself a good big area to work on and although its by no means near the standard of the video version, I really like it. I can definitely see myself using this one in a mini quilt or placemat or something similar. I also like that I can see improvement as I move across on this one - that 2nd last column is my fave!


I did another version, but I actually think there's not much between them.


I can't wait to see what we're working on this week - this practice-along is so much fun! Linking up to Cindy - go check it out and jump in with the rest of us :-)

PS. - Don't forget to pop over and link up to my Winter Stitching list & link up. You can read up on what you need to do here and the linky post is here! The linky is open till 31st October to give you plenty of time to figure out your list and write up your posts :-)

20 comments:

Laura said...

Ooh, Free Motion Quilting is on my 'to learn' list for next year, so I'll be interested to see how you get on. It always looks so cool! I love your little tiles - they all look good to me :)

Strawberry Patch said...

Sarah, you are a natural, cant wait to see some of these used on a real project

Pat Merkle said...

Wow, great job! Definitely improvement from Shadow Wave. I have to say I really love FMQ Friday, it really pushes me out of my comfort zone! Happy quilting!

Rebecca Lynne said...

Definitely want to join the Winter Stitching link up thank you for the reminder. I was gone for a week and still trying to catch up...but I'll make it by Oct 31st to be sure! One week sure makes a difference doesn't it? And on that note, glad you caught up with the drops...the second set of drops looks inspired. I love them! And I love your slate tiles too...I love how real they look like real stones laid on the ground. Hmmm mine are too strict I think, maybe I should loosen them up more. Thank you so much for sharing!

Archie The Wonder Dog said...

They look great - well done! Your gloves are so much more attractive than mine ;o)

Mrs Flying Blind... said...

Get you and your super-duper quilting - wait 'til you see mine!

Irene said...

Your slate tiles are super Sarah. So even. Well done. Like the gloves!

Lucy | Charm About You said...

You are so good at this!! Mine are not quite so attractive! I like the second go of both, I love the chubbiness of the second slates :) The stitching looks great!

Erin @ Billy Button Design said...

Ah they are perfect!

Cindy said...

Sarah, you are a rock star. Look at those slates! And your second drop art really looks like drops! Well done, my friend :)

mammafairy said...

You are doing so well. I think I may have to go down the gloves route too- get more grip, It is working so well for you.

Trudi said...

This is great! See practice really does pay! Gotta get me some of those gloves for the garden :)

Jodi B. said...

Sarah of Ireland,
Looks good. I think you are a natural.
Jodi B

Manda said...

Your second drops are really good! And those tiles are great! I love my gloves, they make all the difference!

Katy Cameron said...

Oh it's definitely inspired, but I didn't even dare put it on my list after I saw everything ELSE I had to do! I'm hoping to sneak some in at some point though :o)

Love your drops though, and the tiles are fab

Nicky said...

Great and quick progress - you have control! Keep it up we are all improving so much!

Annabella said...

You are a natural Sarah - your FMQ is fab and you`re right - you can see improvement in a very short space which is so encouraging!!

Lynne said...

Wow! You are flying along. There must be quilting magic in those gloves.

Janine @ Rainbow Hare said...

I love your second drops and tiles. They are so neat and even :)

Sew Create It - Jane said...

You'll find gloves with grip will make all the difference. I recently bought some that were quite rubberised and the results on my last quilt was a very noticeably flatter and NO pleats quilt! :o)